If a student does NOT pass the EPI, s/he may retake the test after successful completion of an English improvement activity. Students have a maximum of 3 EPI attempts. English improvement activity options include one or both of the following:
1) enroll in one of the three ITA-focused ESL courses (ESL 504, 506, or 510), or
2) start working with an approved EPI tutor.
If the student selects tutoring for the improvement activity, the following requirements apply:
- Students must meet with the tutor at least once a week for a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Students who received a 4 on the EPI must complete a minimum of 10 hours of tutoring.
- Starting in Fall 2016, students with an EPI score of 3 must complete a minimum of 20 hours of tutoring before retaking the EPI.
Students who receive a 3 on their second EPI attempt are strongly encouraged to arrange for an individual language assessment meeting with the ITA Program Coordinator in the Linguistics Department. This one-hour consultation is free of charge. At this meeting, the student will be given a diagnostic exam. Based on that exam, a study plan will be developed to guide the student’s oral English improvement.
Students who fail the EPI may also take the TOEFL or IELTS as often as needed to achieve the minimum required speaking score.