Placement & Proficiency
Main Links
For more info

For questions or information, 
please contact:

Placement & Proficiency
(217) 244-4437


Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

  1. What is the State Seal of Biliteracy?
    According to the Illinois State Board of Education, the State Seal of Biliteracy “recognizes public high school graduates who have attained a high level of proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English.”  Through HB 4330, the School Code was amended to include the Seal of Biliteracy. For more information, go to

  2. How does this affect the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?
    HB 4330 requires that public universities in the State of Illinois (1) for admissions purposes, accept the State Seal of Biliteracy as equivalent to two years of foreign language coursework taken in high school and (2) establish criteria for awarding equivalent course credit. These requirements went into effect January 1, 2017. As of January 2018, 30 states plus the District of Columbia have a State Seal of Biliteracy. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign will recognize the State Seal of Biliteracy regardless of the state in which it was earned.

  3. What about the State Commendation towards Biliteracy?
    No credit will be awarded for the State Commendation towards Biliteracy.

  4. What credit will the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign award for the State Seal of Biliteracy?
    Students who have earned the State Seal of Biliteracy will earn 8 hours of credit, which will appear on their transcript as UFL1 1 - - for 4 hours and UFL2 1 - - for 4 hours.

  5. How does a student get this credit posted to their academic record?
    In accordance with HB 4330, students are required to be enrolled at the public university or community college and be the ones to initiate the request for foreign language course credit. Credit is not processed automatically upon receipt of a high school transcript. The student must submit his or her request within 3 academic years of graduating from high school by bringing the actual document bearing the State Seal of Biliteracy (whether the diploma or the transcript) to

Measurement & Evaluation
Room 247 Armory Building, 505 East Armory Avenue
Champaign, IL 61820

Got a question for this FAQ? Contact us and let us know.