Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) invites applications for a full-time Software Developer at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. As part of the Instructional Technology team, this position will design, develop, deploy, and maintain computer applications in support of the missions of the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop reliable, robust, and secure applications as a member of a distributed development team.
- Create detailed work plans and estimates.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting of work progress and impediments.
- Model and document business and system processes.
- Design and setup databases for use with dynamic applications including SQL Server stored procedures, optimization, and security.
- Provide programming support and consultations for Customer Relationship Management.
- Securely process FERPA data.
- Support existing web applications and data services that rely on ASP.NET, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle Databases.
- Participate in planning and executing migrations to virtual and cloud environments.
- Ensure availability of critical services.
- Ensure security of applications and services through proactive code design, architecture, and service monitoring.
- Provide expertise in the areas of best practices and emerging technologies.
- Data acquisition and analysis.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) support- Leading and contacting management; designing and building customized reports and dashboards; onboarding new clients and developing workflows; facilitating client training; and ongoing maintenance of existing client instances.
- Content Management System (CMS)- provide support by managing the content of the main CITL websites; designing widgets or components; and following best practice guidance for design and CMS usage.
- Two years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows:
- 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year,
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years.
- Demonstrated experience developing secure web applications and/or web services using C# or other program languages.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science, information systems, information sciences, or a related field.
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying services or infrastructure in AWS or Azure clouds.
- Experience deploying and maintaining secure development environments.
- Experience working with microservice architectures.
- Experience managing Microsoft IIS and SQL servers.
- Experience configuring NGINX or other reverse proxy servers.
- Experience integrating data from multiple distributed systems
Successful candidate will have:
- Proficiency in SQL, preferably in Microsoft SQL server
- Demonstrated knowledge of software and system architectures, basic project management, and best practice knowledge and skills.
- Knowledge and awareness of current trends and new developments in IT software development.
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with CI/CD, automation, and containerization technology such as Docker
, or Kubernetes, preferred
- Familiarity with Content Management System concepts and customization, preferred
- Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management systems, especially SLATE, preferred
- Familiarity with the campus Enterprise Datawarehouse, Banner or other Student Information Systems, preferred
- Self-motivated, energetic, and able to effectively achieve goals without direct supervision, preferred
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Technical Associate position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after December 7, 2020. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by December 7, 2020. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you may be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) You must then upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained including Associate's degree, Bachelor's degree and higher, and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding this position, you may contact Jennifer Steiling (email@example.com). For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.