Interested in offering an online course but not sure where to start? Want to learn how to build lecture videos or how to assess your online students? Need some help with the basic tools of Moodle or Compass?
CITL’s Create Your Own Online Course Workshop is designed to help you identify what is involved in creating an online course, help you get started, and provide resources for getting additional help.
The format of this workshop is flexible to your needs and availability. The entire workshop runs Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, April 16, 17, and 19, from 9 AM to 12:30 PM each day. The workshop will be held in 428 Armory.
The workshop is comprised of 15 sessions, most of which are 30 minutes long. You are welcome to come to as many or as few as you would like. Sign-up for all three afternoons of the workshop (13.5 hours in total) in order to have an intensive experience, covering all of the bases. Alternatively, you can also pick and choose which topics are of interest to you and attend just for those sessions.
The workshop is open to all Illinois faculty, staff, and TAs. The workshop is free of charge, but we do ask you to indicate via the RSVP form which days you will attend (even if you plan to only stay for 30 minutes, so we can have enough coffee on hand!). Participation in these sessions count for CITL certificate credit. Please RSVP by Thursday, April 12. If you have any questions, please contact Rachel Martiniak.
Monday, April 16: Designing Your Online Course
- 9 - 9:30 AM: Tips from a Veteran Online Faculty
- 9:30 - 10 AM: Introduction to Backwards Design/Who Are Your Students?
- 10 - 10:30 AM: Organizing Your Course Content and Establishing a Weekly Pattern
- 10:45 - 11:30 AM: Crafting Your Syllabus & Learning Objectives
- 11:30 AM - 12 PM: Assessing Students Online
- 12 - 12:30 PM: Academic Integrity
Tuesday, April 17: Building & Facilitating Your Online Course
- 9 - 9:30 AM: Facilitating Online Discussions and Instructor Presence
- 9:30 - 10 AM: Fostering Online Student-to-Student Interactions
- 10 - 10:30 AM: Using Synchronous Tools (Collaborate and Zoom)
- 10:45 - 11 AM: CITL Templates & Resources
- 11 - 12:30 AM: Using Compass and Moodle Essential Features (Break Out Sessions)
Thursday, April 19: Creating Online Course Content
- 9 - 9:15 AM: Considering When & Why to Use Video
- 9:15 - 9:45 AM: Creating Video Using Campus Tools
- 9:45 AM - 10:15 AM: Using Best Practices in Video Creation
- 10:30 - 11 AM: Distributing Video Using Campus Services
- 11 - 11: 45 AM: Considering Copyright
- 11:45 AM - 12:30 PM: Making Online Courses Accessible