Placement & Proficiency
Faculty member working with student
Main Links
For more info

For questions or information, 
please contact:

Placement & Proficiency
(217) 244-4437


Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Information for Academic Advisors (last updated January 16, 2019)


  1. EPT testing for Spring 2019 course enrollment has ended.
  2. ALEKS PPL Math Placement Testing for Spring 2019 course enrollment will end this Friday, January 18.
  3. Science and language placement testing will end January 31, 2019. Please encourage your 2018-2019 freshmen and new transfers to test now because their science and language test results can still be used during pre-registration in April for Fall 2019 classes.
  4. Both new and continuing students can self-enroll for the online Chinese Placement Test by going to This unproctored exam serves only to recommend a Chinese course so that learners of Chinese can continue their studies. It does not fulfill the Gen Ed language requirement.
  5. Please help your students understand what your College's and what their academic program's language requirement is. Students who wish to take the Chinese Proficiency Test have four versions to choose from:
    • Test 1 will fulfill the third-level language requirement
    • Test 2 will fulfill the fourth-level language requirement
    • Test 3 will fulfill the sixth-level language requirement
    • Test 4 will fulfill the eighth-level language requirement

    This test is given online at the Testing Center. To schedule an appointment, students should contact Melissa Minarik at least 5 business days before their desired test date. The cost is $25.

ACT and SAT Scores

The change from using ACT to using SAT for college admissions testing of Illinois public high school juniors affects both chemistry placement and Rhetoric placement. Some students will have only ACT scores, others will have only SAT scores, and some students will have taken both tests.

When a particular test is taken multiple times, the highest score is used for course placement and proficiency. However, when multiple tests are taken, the student's scores might generate conflicting messages. For example, a student might earn RHET 105 credit based on their ACT score and yet be placed into RHET 105 based on their SAT score; or an international student might get the "EPT Required" designation and yet have RHET 105 credit based on the ACT or SAT test.

If your student has contradictory placement messages, you may go with the highest message. Test-based credit will not be taken away. International students with the ESL attribute who have RHET 105 credit on their academic record can ignore the message to take the EPT. However, they should avail themselves of campus resources that help students improve their academic writing skills or their oral English fluency.

Remember, it is not permitted for currently enrolled undergraduate students to take the ACT or SAT now, as college students, in an attempt to earn RHET 105 credit. This policy appears in the Academic Catalog. Look under "Degree Requirements" and, within that section, the "Written Communication Requirement" for undergraduates. The ACT and the SAT, and the AP and IB exams too, are written for and statistically normed on high school students. Although test scores will be evaluated for course placement and possible proficiency credit whenever they are received -- for example, it is okay for a junior or senior to send in their AP scores that were never sent when they first enrolled as a freshman -- the tests themselves have to have been taken prior to enrolling in college courses.

Other Notes

  1. All incoming freshmen must take the ALEKS PPL math placement exam.
  2. Only transfer students who are pursuing an MCB curriculum are required to take the MCB Placement Test. Others are welcome to try it if they are thinking of pursuing a molecular biology curriculum.
  3. Students who earn test-based credit always have the option to enroll in the actual course. Sometimes it is to their advantage to take the course, so as to be better prepared for the subsequent course in the subject. Duplicate credit, of course, is not permitted.

Feel free to call Diana at 265-6248. You may also email If there’s a question about a particular student, please have the UIN handy.