Placement & Proficiency
Main Links
For more info

For questions or information, 
please contact:

Placement & Proficiency
(217) 244-4437


Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

About Advanced Placement Program Credit


  • FAQ: Learn about the new Illinois law concerning the awarding of credit for AP and IB exams
  • AP Policies: Learn about the course placement and academic credit policies that apply to all new students enrolling at the Urbana-Champaign campus during the 2017-2018 academic year

Requesting AP Credit:

Any credit you earn from the AP exams is automatically posted to your academic record upon receipt of your AP test scores. If you do not see any credit on your record, yet you know you had your AP scores sent and you know you scored high enough to earn credit, it could be that there was a problem matching your AP information with your Illinois information. Typical problems are different spellings of a name (e.g., "Li Wei" vs. "Liwei") or variations of the same name (e.g., "Elizabeth" vs. "Beth").  You will need to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 217-333-0302 to resolve the discrepancy. It helps if you have your UIN handy.

If you did not originally request that your test results be sent to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, you will have to contact the College Board and pay a fee to have them sent electronically. If your AP exam was taken more than 4 years ago, be sure to fill out the "Archived AP Score Request Form" and pay the higher fee. Our institution code is 1836.

The AP Automated Score Reporting Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling 888-308-0013 (toll free in the United States, U.S. territories, and Canada).  Visit the College Board website to learn more. Illinois will NOT accept paper score reports for manual data entry.


By the Way ...

Sometimes your AP test results will give you a higher course placement than your placement test results. If test results from your AP exam and your placement exam generate conflicting placement messages, you may follow the higher placement message. Please discuss your options with your academic advisor.

Illinois recognizes the value of the AP Program. Nevertheless, you should be aware that there are times when it is in your best interest to decline the test-based credit and take the actual course that corresponds to the AP credit. The course might better prepare you for the rigors of the next course in the sequence or might be required by a future graduate school. Consult with your academic advisor, as this decision will often depend on your academic goals.


Questions can be emailed to or you may call (217) 244-4437 during normal business hours.